Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Time to eat... and to blog about it.

I've tried to write this post - a little here, a little there - all day, trying to justify adding yet another food blog to the nigh infinite digital ocean that is the Internet.

See, I love food.  The only thing keeping me from going to culinary school in preparation to work in a professional kitchen is a) Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential (made me think twice about the vocation), and b) I'd like to be able to have time away from work to spend the money I make; I'm not sure I'm prepared to work at a restaurant 60 hours a week.

But at home, with friends... food.  I like talking about it.  I like making it.  I like sharing it and receiving it.  And, of course, I like eating it.  Food is good.

Like many an avid eater, I have scoured the World Wide Interwebs in search of restaurant reviews, preferring to find those that are well-written and thoughtful.  As a home cook, aside from my books and DVDs, the web is my source to find various versions of recipes to use as references when deciding how I want to make a dish.  Equipment reviews?  I always do research when making a major purchase and I want an educated review.

There is a ton of information out there, especially in the way of recipe collections.  With the advent of online communities such as Yelp! and staples like Zagat, restaurant reviews are easily accessible from both Average Joe and Josephine and critics alike.  Equipment reviews?  America's Test Kitchen is pretty handy. Then there is the plethora of independent bloggers, like me, who just want to weigh in on the subject in any of the aforementioned capacities.

So why start a blog about food when there's plenty of online food resources available?

First, I have found that many times, there just isn't enough information for me, or there just isn't enough trustworthy information... take your pick.  I want an educated review.  I want facts that I can believe because the source/writer has given me sufficient reason to do so.  I want references when necessary.  And I want details.  "Didn't cut it for me," just isn't going to cut it for me when reading a review.  Was the restaurant's food bad?  Did that pan melt on you? Did that recipe call for too much cream of mushroom soup from a can?  I want to know.  And not just for the bad stuff, either.  I want to know why something is supposedly good, too.

(Not to worry.  I will practice what I preach)

Second, I want to share.  I want to share what I eat, what I drink.  I want to share what restaurants I visit.  I want to share my thoughts on kitchen tools.  I want to share my opinions.  Yay for blogs.  Anyone that can use a computer, knows what words are, and can almost construct complete, comprehensible sentences can now tell the world what's on their mind.  I'm one of those anyones.

Third, it's fun.

Sharing and fun... those are two things that are wonderful about food, aren't they?  You know, besides the actual eating and tasting.  Food is something almost everyone can related to (I say almost because I do know people that don't like to eat.  Inconceivable, I say).  Most people enjoy good food, whether it's a greasy slider or seared scallops slightly seasoned in kosher salt and a drizzle of lemon.  And those that enjoy good food want to know where to get good food.  Some want to know how to make it themselves.  All of this knowledge can be shared, and knowing that I've given someone the means to find something good to eat?

That's a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment